***disclaimer - long story - pictures are at the bottom.
We flew into Wilmington on Saturday, June 13th. Our master plan was for Reagan and I to meet Mom and Dad and Franklin in Atlanta and then fly to Wilmington together. It was a late evening flight and we were to get to Wilmington on the last flight arriving at 11:00pm. I got to Atlanta just fine and Reagan did fairly well. I started figuring out where I needed to go in Atlanta and in the meantime figure out what gate my parents were arriving from and all that. I couldn't find an arrival terminal - they were all departure screens so I just found where I was going and then asked the gate agent about there flight. She was NOT a helpful lady(but in the end that was to my advantage!) She told me that my parents flight was due to arrive at 9:27. WHAT? We were supposed to leave to Wilmington at 9:29.
I started to panic. I couldn't call them because they were in flight from SLC (which left 2 hours late) If they didn't make it I would be staying in my Grandma's empty house alone and I didn't want to do that AT ALL! I couldn't stay and wait for them with a baby and no luggage. I called Matt and he told me not to panic just to see what happened and no matter what to get on the plane. I called my cousin Jeremy, because I had his number and knew he was in Wilmington already, to let them know there was a chance that we wouldn't all make it. He also said to get on the plane and we will help you on this end. I kept hoping that they would make it!
I kept checking with the customer service to tell them that we had 3 passengers that were traveling together, although not booked together, that needed to make the flight. No one seemed to really care but if they didn't make the flight they would be sleeping in Atlanta until noon the next day.
Anyway - no one in the airport was helpful or even friendly except the other traveling passengers. I was crying, Reagan was crying by now and it was time to board the plane. I still hadn't heard from them so I came to terms with the fact that I was going alone.
My cell phone rang right as I was getting to the ticket lady (who was not nice) and it was Franklin. He said they were on the ground and taxing to the gate. He wanted to know if they had a chance...i said I will do my best, JUST HURRY! Well - they changed the gate on them so it was taking even longer. He did tell me he was in the front row of the plane and therefore could be the first one out and RUN.
I stalled a little and a nice "old" couple could tell what was going on. I asked again if we could wait for them - i mean it was 3 passengers on a 25 person flight. She said she was giving their seats away and that there was nothing we could do. Again, crying and carrying Reagan i went to go get on the plane. I realized that there were only stairs to go outside and I had a stroller. At first the mean lady just looked at me but then I asked if there was an elevator. The Old couple said they were waiting on a ride to the plane because they could not go down stairs...I saw this opportunity as TIME and that was all I needed. Another gate person came and helped me down but I knew the old couple was waiting for help - by the end I thought for sure they did it on purpose but I will never know!
By then I knew that Franklin was almost to the gate and he had to go from B Terminal to D Terminal...which is quite a distance but I just told him to hurry. While we were waiting for the "Old" couple to be helped down to the plane I told my story to the flight attendant. Tall, way skinny, black young man who was super nice. I told him that I needed my parents to come and help me, we were going to a funeral, had a crying baby in my arms (pathetic I know!) was there anything I could do? It was the last flight of the day. He told me to wait a minute and went to talk to the pilot. I knew I had his attention by then and was very hopeful!
Franklin was off the plane and running - my dad was close behind but my mom was at the back of the plane. My cell phone is going off constantly because they are not together so the 4 of us kept calling each other. I guess on their plane they asked everyone who was not making a connection to stay seated AND THEY DID. They were all running through the airport but not together. (I can just see it - my poor mom running through the airport all by herself!)
The pilot got off the plane and went to talk to the mean gate agent and told her we were waiting! I told Franklin we were still on the ground to keep coming. We are on the tarmac - doors open in Atlanta to the outside - muggy, hot, humid! I felt bad for the other passengers because it was hot and they had no idea what was going on. I was standing by the co-pilot and flight attendant when the mean lady upstairs radioed down to the plane and said something like, "Well the lady with the story..." She thought I was making it all up! The pilot went upstairs to make sure the mean lady would let them down when they got to the gate.
The pilot came back to the plane and said not to worry, we could wait. Then I saw Franklin flying across the windows and he came running down! HE MADE IT! How far behind was mom and dad? I gave him a hug and someone said, "Oh, your wife was worried about you." He said, that is not my wife but my sister and yes I am glad I made it also! He found a seat and them one by one came my dad and mom. When my mom arrived the plane started cheering, she was breathing heavy and hot and tired but they made it! So the mean lady saved me because the pilot had trouble with her before and because of her he decided to wait! Thanks Old couple, Thanks flight attendant and Thanks to the pilot and co-pilot!
We made it to Wilmington with only my luggage. There luggage certainly didn't make it but we managed to survive. That is another story...one my dad probably doesn't want me to tell!
My mom wore some of my clothes to church that morning and we did laundry all night so they had something clean.
Here are some pictures from the weekend with family. I certainly miss Grandma Allen but I know she is happy to be back with the love of her life - they were married 60 years and she was miserable without Grandpa. It as actually fun to get together with cousins, she would have been happy.
Quick trip to the beach...1 hour and a little sun did us all some good (along with a good ole' SunDrop)
Reagan was such a trooper. I don't think she got a nap in 4 days. This day she snuggled up on Franklin for a quick nap.
The viewing was June 16th. It was nice to see so many people that love my grandparents. This is our old babysitter...she was the best! It was fun to see Faith!
Before going to the church for the funeral...

No comments:
Post a Comment