Saturday, September 18, 2010

Wheaton Rams Homecoming

I never played little league football.  I had what you call a "weight" problem and when I went to sign up as a kid, I would have had to play up three or four grades.  So, I missed all the developmental stages of little league, including little league homecoming.
I can't tell you how relieved I was when I found out that there was not a dance involved, no homecoming royalty and no chaperoning.  Instead, we met at a local Target parking lot to decorate our cars and then caravan to the field for the game.  The kids had a great time writing on the cars.  I'm not sure who "enhanced" the Marci sticker, her, me or the kids??
We all wore our blue and orange and kept our spirits high.  The players strutted around in their uniforms and tossed the ball around.





There was actually a game and our kids did pretty well.  Unfortunately, they lost the game, but not from lack of effort.  It is a little difficult to see Austin, but he is number 97, and as you can see below, was one of the tallest and biggest boys.  Most of the boys were in sixth and seventh grade, with a few heavier boys from the fifth grade.
Because Austin was so big, he had to play on the interior line on offense and defense.  It was a great learning year and I hope he wants to play again next year.  He is very athletic and picked up the game without too much effort.

I even got in on the act, well a little anyway.  Marking the yardage is much more of a science than you would think...marking off ten yards at a time is a mental challenge.  Just kidding - lots of volunteering to keep a football team going.

No comments: