Saturday, November 27, 2010

Matt's 1st HALF Marathon! November 27, 2010

Cory, Lori and I decided it would be a good idea to run 13.1 miles two days after Thanksgiving.  Further proof of our combined brilliance?

The route was in Schaumburg (where I work) and was right along a number of roads so the family could come and cheer us along.  They were real troopers to come out in the 30 degree weather just to see us run by.
Both Cory and Lori have run half -marathons before, so they kept pace for me.  The first 10 and 1/2 were not bad, but then I hit a wall.
As you can see, Cory coordinated with pink and black.  He is clearly more secure in his manhood than I am...
No, I did not finish in 1163rd place...I was squarely in the middle of the pack. The winner ran five minute miles for the entire race.  Way beyond enjoyable.
We even got Austin into the act for a minute.  He was delivering me water and ran along side for a minute.
Finally, the finish (no, not my blogging, the race) and we were happy to be finished.  I can hardly imagine running a full 26.2.  Neither Cory nor I trained very seriously for this race, so it was really just a warm up for some more in the spring.  I'm pretty sure I won't sign up for anything two days after Thanksgiving again.

We were all awarded medals, I guess they did not want us to feel bad for losing!  We had a good time and a good experience for running my first half marathon.

No comments: