Monday, January 3, 2011

Argentina - Day 2

Again...from Matt's email:

We got up early to go to the airport.  We only got about three hours sleep, I forgot what a challenge the three hour time change can be for sleeping.  Our taxi driver, Francisco, picked us up and dropped us off.  You would not believe what a mad house it was.  This was a smaller airport that does not service international flights, so it was all locals.  The lines were very long and no sense of personal space at all!!  Luckily we were on business class and were able to move right through.

The flight was fine, we made one stop and then arrived.  The stop was very pretty with lots of pine trees and what looked like tons of pasture land.  Calafate looks a lot like southern Idaho.  The soil is dark brown and the river from the glacier is a milky blue, the contrast is very unique.

We just arrived at the hostel, which is much like a dorm, and are heading out soon.

I'll figure out how to call later.
Love you.





Well, we spent a few hours in the town eating and buying a few more things for the kids.  The town reminds me of Jackson hole mixed with lava hot springs!  There is a rural beauty mixed with some new and old buildings.

We were both still pretty tired so we spent sometime reading and relaxing.  The hostel is like a dorm, but comfortable.  They are having a bbq tonight.  It is close to eight and still like the middle of the day.  They said the sun goes down around eleven and rises at four thirty.

Lots of college aged kids running the stores and hostels, o occasionally some older people mixed in.  We found the local lds church, it is a little store front, but has a nice granite sign.  We are planning on going Sunday.  I have not found a phone solution, so I'll use cory's phone later.

Jimmy Charles just arrived.  He had a nine hour layover!

Tell the kids I love them.  I love you.  I'm busy planning a trip like this for both of us.  A little rustic and some long days without showers, but would be fun.

Matt











No comments: