Saturday, January 8, 2011

Argentina Day 7

Day 7

We started at four this morning!  We planned to hike to the top of a mountain and needed an early start so the snow did not get too wet.  We caught a shuttle with our guides at four thirty and rode for an hour and a half to a base station.  It was cold, probably around thirty five or so.  We all bundled up and started up the mountain.  We had four guides, two with lots of experience and two with less.  We made really good time and everyone was panting.  We finally hit the snow line and slowed down.  We put on our crampons and belts and we split into four teams.  Each team connected to one another with ropes so that if someone fell, the others could catch them!!

We headed up the mountain on the snow, which was probably fifteen feet deep!  We crossed deep crevasses and trekked for a few hours.  We were about at the top when one of the guides saw a crack in the snow that made him nervous, so we had to stop.  The views were amazing and you will not believe how steep the climb was.  We stopped and had a quick lunch and then headed down.  Going down was much easier, but put a ton of strain on my hamstrings. 

The gaiters went over my pants and top of my shoes to keep the snow out of my boots.  They worked perfect and it would have been a mess without them.  However, my boots did not cut it.  On the second day of hiking I noticed the bottom was coming loose, no big deal, they were working fine.  On the third day, I wore new thick socks and it was a warm day.  My feet must have sweated nonstop.  They were so stinky, I could barely wear them.  I aired them out over night, but on the snow day, they got soaked, through and through.  When we were preparing to catch the bus back to calafate, I knew I could not wear them.  I saw a store with some crocs, bought them and threw my boots away!

We are now back at the hostel, clean and tired.  We take a boat tour of the glacier tomorrow.

I love and miss you.  I can hardly wait to be in our bed together.  I hope everything has been ok?  It feels like I've been gone forever.  Cannot wait to hug the kids and you.





































No comments: