Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Argentina Day 3

Today was a pretty fun day.  But i forgot to tell you we met another member yesterday.  When we were leaving to get lunch yesterday, there was a single guy sitting on the couch who was on our flight earlier.  We introduced ourselves and as we were leaving asked if he wanted to join us.  He declined, but mentioned he was going to be at the BBQ that night.  We started talking and he mentioned he went to BYU, so I naturally asked if he was a member.  Nice guy, almost 40, single engineer for Chevron.  His mom is Argentinan so he spends quite a few vacations down here.  Funny, such a small world in the church.  Today we met the Elders, a kid from Clinton, Utah and Uruguay. 

We slept in a little today, which was good to catch up for a day.  We then headed down town (we are about half a mile from the town) to get lunch and plan the day.  Jimmy needed a haircut so he went to a really nice resort and scheduled a haircut and massage!!  Cory was going to get one too, but decided to go on a trek with me.  You know how I feel about massages, so they knew there was no way I was going...anyway.  We went to an open pit meat palace and had lamb, steak, chicken and sausage that was really good.  Lots of meat eaters down here.  We then went to a tour place and booked a day tour.

After we did that, we took a walk down to the edge of the huge lake, Lake Argentina ( the largest lake in the country) to see some flamingos.  Apparently they pass the summer here  then head north when the weather gets cold.  We walked out as close as we could on the dry lake bed and took some pictures.

The choices for the tour were horseback riding, doing a zip line, hiking or 4x4 tour.  We decided on the 4x4 tour with dinner.  It was fun, we loaded into a land rover and headed up the mountain.  We saw huge jack rabbits and some llamas.  At the top you could see two huge peaks, one in Chile, the other in Argentina.  They then took us down the back side of the mountain to a lodge where they had a BBQ, with steak, chicken and sausage (seeing a pattern).  We met a two nice couples who were older.  Neither spoke english, so i tried to translate as best i could.  it was a nice dinner and a great way to see alot of the area.  We shared pictures of our families and they loved seeing our families!!  It took about five hours,but was a good time.  I told one of the guys at dinner that I was from salt lake and he jokingly asked if I was mormon.  He was shocked when I said yes.  He knows some LDS people.  I guess when I am the only one who knows the language, I appear very social!!!

We then met the crew at dinner (they were eating at the place we had lunch) and then came back to our room.  We´ve been packing for our trek tomorrow.  We take a bus to an adjacent city and then stay there until Saturday night.  We have two days of treking and glacier hiking and then a day where we climb to the top of a mountain.  On Sunday we have a boat trip to the glacier and then begin the trip home.

I´ll have to fill you in on the people on the trip, Dave and his three boys, Sam and their brother Jim, Jimmy Charles, Jay Hamilton, Mat Nichols...quite a crew.  I enjoyed being with Jimmy today, funny and easy going.  it is a little expensive hanging out with these guys, but i like that everyone is willing to pick up the tab and no one is pinching pennies.

ok, that is about it.  Tell Brandon, Kiersten and Reagan that I miss and love them.  Miss and love you too.

















Matt

No comments: