Some of you will really appreciate this story...When they called me to be in the Relief Society Presidency, they also ask me to be in charge of Food Storage for our ward. I seem to get this calling a lot at church and I guess Matt and I are becoming quite experienced at it. I decided this spring we would do a "canning day" at the church. I printed up order forms from the Church's Home Storage Center in Columbia, SC and made up a spreadsheet so that people from church could order.
My intentions were that we would go get a truck load of food from Columbia, bring it back to our building a spend a few hours dry packing our goods. Well I should have known better with our wonderful ward - we have many people who feel the need to prepare. It didn't hurt that many people are getting bonuses and taxes back this month. Needless to say, when I got the totals back from everyone who wanted to order it was a HUGE project. Nothing we could accomplish at our ward building in a day.
15 families wanted to order 900 cans of food or 3800 pounds of food - WOW. It took me all week to organize it (while I have been sick) and we spent the day at the cannery in Columbia, canned all 900 cans and brought it back to Charlotte. We had 2 large trucks with trailers and then 3 additional SUV's that brought all that food home - we shall be prepared for something! I haven't replenished my food storage very much since coming to Charlotte so it is nice to get a lot of it back. Groceries are expensive here - I have come to really miss Meijer's sales! (in KY)
Here is the proof:
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Food Storage Order
These are my church friends in front of our 900 cans of food! Way to go girls!
The group hard at work!! I think they are working on oats in this picture...
Lovingly created by
The Smith's
at
3/08/2008 08:46:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment